The points for reflection
- What was your understanding of meditation prior to studying this session of teachings? Has your understanding of what it means to meditate changed? Was your previous understanding of meditation influenced by any of the common misunderstandings about meditation present in your society or culture?
- What was your understanding of the purpose of meditation prior to this session of teachings? Has your understanding changed? If so, what is your new understanding? Are you more or less inspired to want to practice meditation on a regular basis?
- Are there some particular thoughts and emotions that you would you like to work on reducing with the help of meditation? Similarly, are there some particular thoughts and emotions that you would you like to work on strengthening with the help of meditation?
- What is concentration? What is mindfulness? How are they different? How do they work together in different kinds of meditations?
- When you meditate are their particular thoughts (worries, fantasies, memories, etc.) that arise to distract you? Are you able to let them go and continue your meditation? Are there some that are particularly difference to let go of?