This is a repeating event2019-08-28 18:00
21aug18:0020:00Event OverEvent OverRefuge in the Three Jewels - Discovering Buddhism Study Program - Module 7What does it mean to take refuge in the Three Jewels? What are “Buddha, Dharma and Sangha”? What is the essential practices of refuge? You will also find out more about the advantage of taking lay vows and their role in enhancing your spiritual growth.
(Wednesday) 18:00 - 20:00 CET
Refuge in the Three Jewels - Discovering Buddhism Study Program - Module 7 What does it mean to take refuge in the Three Jewels? What are “Buddha, Dharma and Sangha”? Why is
Refuge in the Three Jewels
– Discovering Buddhism Study Program – Module 7
What does it mean to take refuge in the Three Jewels? What are “Buddha, Dharma and Sangha”? Why is Dharma the actual refuge? What is the essential practices of refuge? You will also find out more about the advantage of taking lay vows and their role in enhancing your spiritual growth.
This course will deepen your understanding about Buddhist refuge, you´ll learn more about inner – outer and secret refuge, how it protects you, its benefits, and what are its different objects and different levels. And all these will be “tested” in meditations; by meditating on different subjects you´ll get your own individual experience about the material covered in each session.
We start by recollecting our knowledge about “The Buddhist Science of Mind”. Because – even taking refuge is based on that you fully understand the role of mind in Buddhism. By remembering that the historical Buddha in fact was an ordinary person who perfected his mind-potential, can you gain confidence in that, and meditate on it, find it logically possible?
Of course, all the teachings are connected; so, understanding the role of the Four Noble Truths and law of cause and effect – in your own life first, deepen this understanding – and then understand it how it effects others, this is also essential in order to grasp Buddhist refuge.
Buddha is said to be the Doctor, Dharma the medicine, and Sangha the nurse who give you the right medicine on right time – can you see this happening?
We´ll start and end every session with meditation. There will be time for Questions & Answers, and time for discussion.
Obs. Professor Jan Willis Public Talk on Wednesday, September 18 will be part of this course and free for those who have signed up for the entire course. Read more about Professor Willis – Lama Yeshe student for 15 years.
Course Literature for Module 7, “Refuge in Three Jewels”:
We follow FPMT teaching-material for this course; except teachings once a week, you get both weekly audios sent to you and transcripts as pdf to study during the week.
Course Literature for ‘Refuge in the Three Jewels’
The following readings are required for all students following this program for a Discovering Buddhism Completion Certificate*. These readings are available with this course in PDF format.
- Seeking an Inner Refuge, by the Dalai Lama (Page 4 of PDF)
- Teachings on Refuge, by Lama Yeshe (Page 9 of PDF)
- Essential Buddhist Practice, by Lama Zopa Rinpoche (Page 18 of PDF)
- Refuge, by Lama Yeshe (Page 41 of PDF)
- The Wish-Fulfilling Golden Sun, by Lama Zopa Rinpoche, (Another PDF here:
- Liberation in the Palm of Your Hand – BOOK, 1 ref. ex in YN-Library. (1997 gold edition (pp. 394–428) or 2006 blue edition (pp. 352-84) – Published by Wisdom Publications
- Refuge in the Three Jewels, Booklet published by FPMT
Suggestions for Further Study for ‘Refuge in the Three Jewels’
The following books and video are suggested as additional resources for students who wish to deepen their understanding of the material in this course.
–Spiritual Friends: Meditations by Monks and Nuns of the International Mahayana Institute
–Old Path, White Clouds, by Thich Nhat Hanh
-Suggested Video: On Buddhism, by Robert Thurman (Mystic Fire Video)
* Please be reminded that all “requirements” apply only to those who choose to follow this program for a Completion Certificate. This is a personal choice that one can make at any time during the program.
If you want Home Study Completion Card for this specific module from our center, you need to participate on active way, be present on lessions, participate on the retreat-day, and do the Home study exam. Talk with the teacher!
Module 7 – Refuge in the Three Jewels – Subject Area Summary
- Does buddha-mind exist?
- The causes of refuge
- How refuge protects us
- The objects of refuge
- Buddha is a reliable refuge because he is fearless
- Skillful in freeing other from danger
- Has compassion for all
- Works for the sake of all
- The eight benefits of taking refuge
- Mindfulness of the eight benefits
- The objects of refuge
- The qualities of buddha’s body
- The qualities of buddha’s speech
- The qualities of buddha’s mind
- The qualities of buddha’s enlightened activities
- The qualities of the Dharma
- The qualities of the Sangha
- Criterion of correct refuge
- Advice regarding refuge practice
- What to avoid
- What to practice having taken refuge in Buddha
- What to practice having taken refuge in Dharma
- What to practice having taken refuge in Sangha
- Six general precepts
Required Integration Practices – Guided Meditations
- Meditation One: Meditation on Refuge in the Three Jewels
- Meditation Two: Shakyamuni Buddha meditation
A one-day retreat using the meditations above is also required for all students wishing to obtain a completion certificate for this module.
We offer 20% discount for students, unemployed, and retired. To use this discount, please add the course to the cart, click on Checkout, and in the box “Coupon code” type in “Reduced Course Fee“.
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!
- Day 1
- Day 2
- Day 3
- Day 4
- Day 5
- Day 6
18:00 Session 118:00 - 20:00Introduction. Does buddha-mind exist? The causes of refuge. DedicationSpeakers: Kaisa Kaul
18:00 Session 218:00 - 20:00How refuge protects us The objects of refuge Buddha is a reliable refuge because he is fearless Skillful in freeing other from danger Has compassion for all Works for the sake of all DedicationSpeakers: Kaisa Kaul
18:00 Session 318:00 - 20:00The eight benefits of taking refuge Mindfulness of the eight benefits The objects of refuge DedicationSpeakers: Kaisa Kaul
18:00 Session 418:00 - 20:00The qualities of buddha’s body The qualities of buddha’s speech The qualities of buddha’s mind The qualities of buddha’s enlightened activities The qualities of the Dharma The qualities of the Sangha DedicationSpeakers: Kaisa Kaul
18:00 Session 518:00 - 20:00Criterion of correct refuge Advice regarding refuge practice What to avoid What to practice having taken refuge in Buddha What to practice having taken refuge in Dharma What to practice having taken refuge in Sangha DedicationSpeakers: Kaisa Kaul
18:00 Session 618:00 - 20:00Six general precepts DedicationSpeakers: Kaisa Kaul
RSVPing is closed at this time.
Can not make it to this event?Change my RSVP