This is a repeating event2019-09-12 18:00
05sep18:0020:00Event OverBuddhism for Beginners - 5-weeks courseWhat is "Buddhism"? The aim of Buddhist philosophy and psychology is to become happier by understanding oneself and the world through study, reflection, and meditation.
(Thursday) 18:00 - 20:00 CET
What is "Buddhism"? The aim of Buddhist philosophy and psychology is to become happier by understanding oneself and the world through study, reflection, and meditation. This course is based on FPMT
What is “Buddhism”? The aim of Buddhist philosophy and psychology is to become happier by understanding oneself and the world through study, reflection, and meditation.
This course is based on FPMT Study Course Buddhism in a Nutshell. It presents basic Buddhist philosophy, psychology, and principles within a Tibetan and Mahayana context and provides simple meditation instructions.
THURSDAYS 18.00 – 20.00
September 5 – October 10 (with a break on September 19).
The course is presented in five (5) sessions and examines:
- the life of Shakyamuni Buddha, including the similarities of Shakyamuni Buddha’s life to ours – and how the Buddha answered the big “meaning of life” questions that we all have
- The Four Noble Truths of Aryas are all about of this unsatisfactory existence, called samsara:
1/ the truth of suffering/the endless dissatisfaction – description of basic human vulnerability that we all share
2/ there are causes for suffering
3/ there is a possibility to end/ cessation of suffering, and
4/ there is the path to that ends the suffering – leads to the cessation of suffering
- the Buddha’s teachings set out graduated steps to support the practice of an individual
- what it means to be a Buddhist, an “inner being”
- the three principal aspects of the path to Awakening (enlightenment) based on the short text Foundation of All Good Qualities
- different traditions of Buddhism: Theravada, Mahayana, Vajrayana, Zen, etc.
- different schools of Tibetan Buddhism: Gelug, Kagyu, Sakya, and Nyingma
- some introductory Buddhist history
We offer 20% discount for students, unemployed, and retired. To use this discount, please add the course to the cart, click on Checkout, and in the box “Coupon code” type in “Reduced Course Fee“.
Ticket Section Title
Tickets are not available for sale any more for this event!
Speakers for this event
Zarina is the Media Manager at Yeshin Norbu. She is a certified Cultivating Emotional Balance trainer and Iyengar Yoga teacher. Zarina is a Buddhist practitioner since 2008 and has been leading courses at Yeshin Norbu since 2018. She holds a PhD degree in industrial economics and organization, and she wants to dedicate her life to studying Buddhist philosophy and psychology. This semester Zarina is leading our Buddhism in a Nutshell and Introduction to Buddhist Meditation courses, lunch time drop-in mindfulness meditation (on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) and Iyengar yoga for beginners.